Patch merges are typically used in Production environment to apply changes from the development version of a repository to your production repository, or to upgrade your Oracle BI Applications repository. It is used when you are applying the differential between two versions of the same repository
There are two steps in this merge:
- Generating a Repository patch
- Applying a Repository Patch
In this example we are taking the following 4 repositories. In this process we have two modified repositories, whose changes should be deployed to production environment.
BISAMPLE_Original.rpd (is identicall to BISAMEPLE_Dev.rpd)
Mod01.rpd (derived from Original repository and then modified)
Mod02.rpd (derived from Original repository and then modified)
The Complete Process:
Generating a Repository Patch
To generate a patch using the Administration Tool:
1. In the Administration Tool, open the Mod01.rpd Oracle BI repository in offline mode.
2. Select File, and then select Compare.
3. Select the original (BISAMPLE_Dev.rpd) repository. When prompted, provide the appropriate password. The Compare repositories dialog appears.
4. It is a good practice to equalize your changes to clean up underlying object IDs before generating a patch. Click equalizer button to check if all object IDs are OK.
5. In the Compare repositories dialog, review the changes between the repositories. If you are OK with the changes then, click Create Patch.
6. In the Create Patch dialog, enter a name for the patch file (for example, Mod01.xml) and click Save.
Applying a Repository Patch
- In the Administration Tool, open the BISAMPLE_Original.rpd as current (the repository on which you want to apply the patch) repository in offline mode.
- Select File, and then select Merge. The Merge Repository Wizard appears.
- For Merge Type, select Patch Repository Merge.
- Click Select next to Original Master Repository. Browse to select the original repository, and then click Open. Note that the original repository cannot be the same as the current (BISAMPLE_Original.rpd) repository.
- Enter the repository password for the original repository.
- Click Select next to Patch File. Browse to select the patch file you want to apply, and then click Open.
- Optionally, click Select next to Save Merged Repository as, then enter a file name under which the patched repository will be saved and click Save.
- Click Finish.
- BISAMPLE_Original(1).rpd will be opened automatically in the Administrator Tool.
10. To merge the changes of Mod02.rpd, repeat the steps 2 to 8.
Till Next Time